Aviation

Moorabbin Airport is Australia's leading General Aviation airport.  Moorabbin is home to premier flying training schools for both fixed and rotary wing operations.

Moorabbin Airport forms part of a network of major airports within Victoria and Australia.  Moorabbin Airport is Australia’s third busiest airport by aircraft movement currently recording 250,000 movements per annum.

Training is a significant component of aviation operations with two thirds of our movements being recorded by over a dozen flying schools.

Other aviation uses include aircraft maintenance, air charter, freight, recreational flying and air work, such as aerial photography and surveying, as well as emergency services such as the Royal Flying Doctors and Air Ambulance Services.

Our Vision

To continue to develop an efficient and fully functioning Airport of Regional and State significance, supported and enhanced by quality land use, which will significantly contribute to and improve and support the operation and growth of the airport and the economic and social base of south eastern metropolitan Melbourne, particularly its local community.

General Aviation Mix

Moorabbin Airport is home to over 50 aviation organisations, including over a dozen flying schools and some 350 aircraft and helicopters are located on the 294 hectare site.

As Moorabbin is a metropolitan airport there is always a great mix of aircraft on site, including vintage biplanes, training craft and helicopters to sleek corporate jets. 

Moorabbin is home base to Regular Passenger Transport (RPT) operator King Island Airlines, which links King Island to the mainland with daily flights, carrying premium crayfish, cheese and tourists.

Importantly, Moorabbin Airport supports a range of advanced technical and general aviation maintenance organisations servicing local and visiting aircraft.

Our Aviation Heritage

The aerodrome was first commissioned as an airfield when group of aviators and the Civil Aviation Department decided that the Market Gardens south-east of Melbourne CBD would make a perfect airport site. The site was acquired in 1946 and opened in December 1949.

The airport has grown considerably since its beginnings; in the 1950’s its tenants included including Brain and Brown Airfreight, Super Spread crop dusting and Flinders Island Airways there were around 65,000 aircraft movements a year, predominantly by the Royal Victorian Aero Club.

By 1966 some of the runways and taxiways areas had been asphalted, resulting in over 300,000 traffic movements being recorded.

In 1998 the Airport was privatised with Moorabbin Airport Corporation purchasing the leasehold from the Commonwealth Government for 99 years.

 

back to top